Senna leaf extract source senna belongs to the family of desert flowering plants called Cassia spp. Senna or senna leaf, whose botanical name is Cassia acutifolia is a popular herbal remedy that is obtained from Senna alexandrina. Some other common names for this plant are Alexandrian senna, India senna, Cassia senna, and Khartoum senna. This plant which is a member of the bean family is a native to India, Pakistan and China.
This natural product is available over the counter in the form of dried root, liquid extract, tablets etc. Senna leaf, like many other herbs, has many therapeutic properties and has been used as a medicine for centuries. This leaf is mostly used to alleviate the symptoms of constipation and is also used as a colon cleanse. Senna is considered to be one of the most popular and traditional laxative that helps ease out the complications of constipation and other digestion related problems. The pods and seeds of the senna plant are used as a herbal medicine. The leaves are dried and used as concoction in herbal tea which also has the same benefits as the capsules or powder.
Senna Leaf Extract Specification:
Sennosides : 4%,6%,8% by HPLC
Sennoside A+B : 20%, 40%, 60% by HPLC
Senna Leaf Extract Function
1. Cathartic effect: senna infusion contains anthraquinone derivatives, its cathartic effect and irritation more than other laxatives.
2. Antibacterial inhibition: senna leaf extract alcohol resistant variety of bacteria such as staphylococcus, diphtheria bacillus, typhoid bacillus, paratyphoid bacillus, and Escherichia coli, the water extract useful only for Salmonella typhi.
3. Hemostasis: senna powder can increase platelet and fibrinogen, reduced clotting time, recalcification time, prothrombin time and blood clot contraction time, help to stop the bleeding.
4. Muscle relaxation: senna leaf extract can block acetylcholine at the motor nerve terminals and skeletal joints, so that muscle relaxation.
Senna Leaf Extract Application
1. With the function of laxation, which will facilitate water.
2. With the function of relaxing muscle.
3. With the function of antibacterial, such as inhibiting staphylococcus aureus, salmonella typhi and escherichia coli.
4. Increasing platelet and fibrinogen, which will help stop bleeding.